1. Music says:

May 2, 2013 at 12:12 am

Doc McStuffins! It’s about a black girl (whose mom is a doctor!) who uses her medical skills to heal a variety of toys.

2. Elizabeth says:

May 2, 2013 at 8:38 am

This made me realize that I’m ridiculously proud and excited when Olivia wants to dress as Princess Tiana. I really love that she has no concern that her skin is not the same color as Tiana. Once she puts the costume on, she IS Tiana. On a different topic, we recently had a lengthy discussion about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his accomplishments. Naturally, she found it unimaginable that whites and blacks were treated so differently. The strange thing was that she had trouble identifying the black and white people in her life. She went through each of her friends and family members, including her brothers and father, and asked if they were black or white. It was puzzling. This girl is wise beyond her five years and generally understands very complicated concepts. Eventually, I simplified it for her by explaining that skin color alone is what determines identification as black or white. It was really interesting to witness her process the concept. It was like she simply couldn’t accept that something as insignificant as skin color could be what divides people into such divisive categories.

May 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

As usual, interesting and thought provoking Liz. I can imagine being on the other side of this, easily, and seeing this from your perspective. I worry a little that while we are going around teaching our white kids to be open minded, black/brown children are being left out of that equation. Before we get comfortable with equality, they need to see it truly represented in the rest of the world.

3. Bicultural Mama says:

May 4, 2013 at 8:01 am

My daughter (half Asian) dressed up as Cinderella. She has dark brown hair and Asian features, nothing like Cinderella, but my daughter loves pretending she is a princess and it made her happy so that’s all that mattered!

May 7, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Martha, I think you did a great job laying out the issue with this! One more character to add to your list – Cokie from Wild Kratts on PBS Kids. She is black (dark-skinned! yay!) and a great role model as a smart, science-loving character who works as part of a team. My sons LOVE the show. The Electric Company, which is for kids who are a bit older, also has a great cast of diverse characters including black (though I can’t remember off-hand if any are girls).

May 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Is it bad that I let my biracial daughter dress as Scooby Doo? I heard a ton of bs about it and honestly I don’t care. She likes the show and the dog. I’ve even found myself trying to force the characters you mentioned above down her throat lol and it doesn’t work. She just likes the animals.

May 13, 2013 at 7:39 am