April 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thanks Amanda! Yes, it’s hard, but we must do it. Even those of us who think it may not be necessary anymore. ;)

April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

Great post, Martha! I’ve been thinking lately about how easy it is for us to label Zimmerman a racist and to vilify him. Yet when his friends and families say “He’s not a racist,” what they probably mean is that he is no more racist than most people. People are not as black and white as we’d like to believe – no pun intended. Just like Trayvon isn’t either a “perfect kid” or a “thug.” It just makes it simpler and cleaner for us to lump people into these clear categories.

A person can have friends of color and still hold assumptions and experience automatic, visceral reactions that we would label as racism. This is where the fight against racism becomes so slippery – where we are no longer fighting the “obvious” stuff but the attitudes and beliefs that ingrained even into people who don’t “want” to be racist.

April 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yes, Ellie, I think that it can even happen with a person who has family of color. Although, I think that since I’ve had Annika, I can honestly say the majority of that stuff is truly gone. But I still catch myself occasionally. Then I just shake my head at myself. lol

April 19, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I am the MOST racist person I know… But I am aware of my prejudices, and let everyone prove me wrong. Since I am aware of my biases and am willing to let them be overturned, is that allowable?

April 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

JB, I think most people are racist, or at least, have racist thoughts and feelings. Examining those thoughts and feelings is the important thing. Ignoring them, or not admitting you have them, is what we have to fear. Right?

April 19, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I stumbled across this via Triberr RT from Maria. This is absolutely wonderful! As a black man, it was easy to say what Zimmerman did was a racist act, but I refuse to do so. I’m a firm believer in evidence and unless I hear otherwise, this was a man too anxious to play hero and things just got out of hand. He profiled (which a lot of us, regardless of race do) and who knows what happened after that? Until I hear all of the evidence, I will not rush to convict him of murder.

However, I do think he is guilty of at least manslaughter, if nothing else, since his actions led to a kid’s death. But, I agree that he may be no more racist than the average American who “judges a book by its cover.”

Again, great post!