February 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm

It’s true, I’m starting to see thing this way, too, as more mixed and in between than black and white (no pun intended!). It is cool and opens up a new world. 🙂

2. Elizabeth says:

February 17, 2012 at 7:41 am

Cool. I’ve said it before – Annika looks a LOT like you. You have different skin colors but otherwise you look a lot alike. I have to think that people that say that a lot. It can’t just be me.

February 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oh yes, Liz. Many people see it. But not immediately. I still get the questions or querying looks.

February 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

It’s so fascinating to see how our experiences being moms of biracial kids starts to affect our own personal experience of race! This post was really interesting. I am so much more tuned in than I used to be to noticing multiracial families and usually have this genuine curiosity of wondering what the family’s story is – especially if it isn’t obvious, like if I see an older adult with a young biracial child. I love seeing other multiracial families and knowing we aren’t the only ones.

One thing I found really interesting… When my oldest was a toddler, even for me as his mother I found it hard to “see” his “black” features, and I’m guessing when he was out alone with me most white people probably assumed he was white. Yet I was always amazed how often black people easily recognized his biracial-ness. People would comment, “Oh he looks just like my nephew” or something along those lines. It seemed to me almost though as white people most of us go through the world “assuming white” (until something fundamentally shifts our assumption), while maybe persons of color more readily recognize that biracial or black kids aren’t necessarily going to look one specific way. Does that make sense?? Hopefully I’m not overgeneralizing. 🙂

February 17, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yes! Ellie, isn’t is so cool to recognize the shift if your perspective? I began to notice it when I was pregnant, but it has continued to grow and change.

Ironically, with African Americans, I have been questioned a number of times, “Is that your daughter?” And I was surprised because I thought they would have recognized it more easily. I agree that white people do generally tend to assume whiteness unless they see something else. I also wonder if it’s geography. Living in Texas, the racial divisions are stricter here, so maybe that’s why some African Americans are still left wondering.

February 18, 2012 at 7:31 am

Kids have such an amazing power to change us! I love this post. Very cool to think about. Annika looks so much like you in that picture!

I really think that times are changing, because when my kids were little people often asked if they were mine (or a more outrageously inappropriate version of that question.) Now that they are older no one asks. I don’t know if it’s because of the way we act when we are together or if it’s because there are so many mixed families now. The interesting part for me now, is watching how my kids navigate that period of time where they are expected to choose how they identify. I want so much for them to be able to say “I am biracial!” but I am not sure if any of them will feel like they can do that. My oldest currently identifies as black. Many of his friends don’t even know he is mixed until I show up to pick him up from playing basketball with his friends. It’s a complicated world…I will always see them as biracial. But who knows how they will see themselves.

You got me thinking again, Martha! You’re always doing that 🙂