1. Crystal says:

December 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm

My answer with my daughter (now 11 and still believes) is “Do YOU think he’s real?” and when she says yes, I say then he is. Because in my opinion, if you believe, then he is real to you.

December 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Yes, good idea Crystal! I also have asked her what she thinks and she says, “he’s real.” So, then I just say ok.

2. Elizabeth says:

December 14, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Wow! That had to have been a shock. She’s so young! I have a total love/hate with Santa. I found out really young (6) at the hands of a nasty babysitter. I felt like the butt of a joke. I followed my ex’s lead with my sons and introduced Santa. However, I never pushed him hard. When my youngest found out at 11 (11!) he was crushed. I felt like an asshole and a liar. I really thought I’d lay off Santa this time around. My husband did not agree, so I begrudgingly went along. Surprisingly, I’ve really gotten into him this year. Olivia LOVES him. In fact, he was a visitor at our Christmas party last week. I don’t know what I would do if she asked me so directly at this young age. I’ve consistently referred to him as “magic” this holiday season and used the fact that he is magic to answer any questions she has had about the logistics of his gig rather than trying to come up with intricate explanations for how he can do the impossible. I am hoping that as she begins to understand that magic is more of an illusion than a reality that she will come to understand the same about Santa rather than being hit over the head with the reality all at once. I seriously hope she does not throw me for a loop and ask me outright any time soon. Man, Annika is a thinker. 🙂

• says:

December 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

Man, that story about the babysitter is rough! How mean! All good ideas. I need to start talking up the magical aspect of Santa. She hasn’t asked about the logistics. I honestly don’t think she’s thought about it that much, but she’s seen him on a couple of TV shows and she knows that those aren’t real, so I think that’s probably why she asked.

3. Lydia says:

December 15, 2011 at 6:34 am

This made me laugh- especially the part about the fairies. I have a 3 year old daughter who is very into Christmas this year and so the Santa question has come up. Like you I always thought I would kind of skip santa, or downplay him at least. But instead, I found that I just couldn’t when she was so excited about the possibility. Also, I have very good memories of Christmas and santa as a child, and honestly I don’t really remember some big shock when I realized he wasn’t real.

But, I have really tried, like the pp said, to talk talk about magic with santa, and also to talk about the fun things we do with our family on Christmas too- so santa isn’t the only fun exciting thing about Christmas. One aspect of santa that really bugs me is the “you get toys if you’re good and santa is watching you etc” part- so that I have left out completely.

• says:

December 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

LOL, thanks Lydia. Yeah, I should write a post about the fairies. It’s kind of funny. I don’t remember being bothered that much when I found out Santa wasn’t real, either. I think I had started to suspect it anyway. And I also think it had to do with the way my parents represented him, but I don’t remember exactly what they did to clue us in without actually saying it. I also agree with the naughty and nice stuff, I don’t do that. The whole elf on the shelf thing kind of pisses me off. We never did that as a kid either. I remember my mom telling me that I would always get gifts, no matter what.

December 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

I agree with the others — when that comes up here I will probably try to steer the thinking back to them with “What do you think?” and try to get them to really consider it. If the reasons they come up with show that they still have the ability to believe, then that’s great. Santa for me (and most kids I believe) was kind of phased out as we started to put the pieces together. But seeing Santa and Christmas through my children’s eyes is wonderful.