June 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I found the question of asking private schools if they would give preference to families of color really interesting. I, personally, couldn’t imagine the backlash if a school–private or otherwise–were to implement such a program. If I have to hear the phrase “reverse discrimination” one more time in my life….

June 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Oh, it happens Melek. It’s just one of those things you have to be in the know about. They don’t advertise it because I’m sure a lot of white families would be pissed, even though they are the ones asking for diversity. Kind of no-win situation for the schools.

2. tymetravelife says:

June 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

“A Chinese friend of mine told me once that people are always trying to make her more hardcore than she really is. It didn’t make her life harder. But it was frustrating.”

Yes, it’s universally understood that life’s not perfect & everyone, w/rare exceptions, faces problems & challenges. It’s the extra pancakes on top of the normal stack, that makes you say BELLY FULL!

Seriously, the very best thing for any child is to have the resource of an excellent education to walk through life. Of course you know that’s also a universal truth.

Happy trails to you : )

June 8, 2011 at 8:40 am

Unfortunately, based on what I overhear about white people making choices for their schools, they are concerned with too many dark skinned people, rather than too few.

• says:

June 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

Oh Liz, that makes my stomach ill. Thanks for being brave enough to share that.

It doesn’t happen so much anymore, but I remember a time in my life when I heard racist comments from other white people regularly, when they just assume you agree with that way of thinking. It’s pretty sickening to think that people are that hateful when it comes to kids getting a good education.

• says:

June 10, 2011 at 9:11 am

I should clarify that I don’t hear those type of comments very often, but one time is too many. At a play group years ago, I overheard a conversation in which a woman was complaining about one of the docs in her ob practice. She had been able to avoid him when setting her monthly appointments but was concerned he’d be the one on call if she went into labor during the night. I was pregnant at the time, so the conversation caught my interest. When I inquired about the problem with this doctor, she shared that it was because he was black. When she sensed my disapproval, she tried to backtrack, only to say that she was fine with black people but didn’t feel comfortable with one down “there.” I was absolutely floored. Several times a year, someone (sadly it is often someone I know) says something about someone of another race that just sickens me.

• says:

June 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

That’s sick and sad. But my first thought was to joke, “well, I clearly don’t have a problem with having a black man, down ‘there.'” LOL

The doctor who ended up delivering Annika was the doc on call, a black woman. She did a great job and I felt very comfortable with her.

June 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

LMAO!!!!!

Yes, it was very disturbing. I was very young and was really taken aback. Of course, there’s always a possibility you won’t be comfortable with the on-call doc but not because of of their race. I avoided that bitch after that conversation.