1. Elizabeth says:

June 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I’m with you. That’s weird. Toyin’s right. It could’ve been a cover. I hear you that you put her pics online and everything, but its still weird for someone to make that decision for you.

June 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Yes, that’s why it felt weird I guess. Not to ask is just rude. Most people wouldn’t take the picture of an adult without permission.

2. Lorien says:

June 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I am with you. I was there and that guy rubbed me the wrong way too. Why would anybody want to take pictures of kids they don’t know? It is just intrusive and inappropriate.

June 29, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Yes, intrusive. Inappropriate. Totally. He was strange. I think my weird person radar goes off too quickly sometimes so I question myself when I feel like something is off and nobody else seems bothered by it.

June 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm

unless i was friends with the kids parent, i wouldn’t think of taking a photo of someone else’s kid without permission. and you know me, always with camera.

i was at said coffee house a few years ago, probably before kid #2. i was shooting kiddo #1 and the kids we were there with. a guy approached and introduced himself as a ut photo student shooting a project and asked if i minded if he took pics of the kids. (that by the way, is an extremely difficult thing to do. i once spent 4 or 5 hours working up the nerve to ask a random family if i could shoot them in st. augustine for a college assignment. i took one photo that day. couldn’t work up the nerve to ask anyone else.) i told him i couldn’t speak for the group but i did not want him shooting my kid. we talked photography for a while, he seemed legit enough, but i still didn’t want him to shoot my girl. if i remember correctly, most of the moms there seemed fine with it.

June 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm

It’s nice to hear from you Bryan, on this topic as a man, with kids,and a professional photographer. Oh, and you have permission to take Annika’s picture anytime you like. 🙂

4. lindsay says:

June 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Actually, it just happened to us too. Freaked me out actually. It took me by surprise, too.

5. Amanda says:

June 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I totally agree Martha, that is creepy and I’d be very pissed. Knock on wood, it’s never happened to us before.

6. Sammie says:

July 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hello. That does sounds really weird.

Something similar happened to me yesterday. Every day I walk through the woods to take my child to nursery, and there is always this man there, same time every day. He’s around 57-60. We always say “Hi” or something about the weather, or me being late! Yesterday I was running with the buggy and saw him ahead of me. I was pushing my daughter, age three. As soon as he saw me he reached for his bag, pulled out a large professional looking camera (In that split second i stopped running, i was a few metres away and he took a picture of us. When I slowed down he said “I was trying to get an action shot. I was really shocked and late for work, so I didn’t say anything… I just kept on going because I didn’t want to be late. Why i didn’t say anything I don’t know.

It was only when I got to work and told a friend, I realised how bad that is and then I felt a bit shaken up. I know he lives opposite me and he lives with his wife. I have informed the police and they said they take things like this very seriously, and two officers are going to his house to find out what’s going on!
    You just never know what they could find. Could be innocent…. but if that is the case he should know better. I had to go the other way to work today which took an extra 45 mins! Don’t want to see him again!

July 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oh my goodness Sammie! That is scary! It’s good that you know where he lives. Let me know how it turns out, okay?