1. tymetravelife says:

March 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Huh? Lower & higher status ethnicities? A little offensive to black, brown & tan (those of Asian ancestry) people–unless they’re lucky enough to find some higher status ethnicity blood hiding in their DNA.

But I absolutely agree that biracials should identify as such.

March 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi,

Yes, we did discuss the wording on that. She’s referring to the words in the study. Statistically, in the United States there are ethnicities that are typically considered higher and lower, by all races, not just whites.

I hope that you realize this is not intended to be offensive. Those words were taken directly from the study. Not the words of the author of this post, or myself.

2. tymetravelife says:

March 30, 2011 at 12:00 am

Thanks for your reply.

Moving forward, the agenda has to be to crawl our way out of the fairytale that any kind of “race” exists, whether monoracial, biracial or quadroon.

March 30, 2011 at 2:05 am

I’m not sure that I agree that we need to change our minds to the idea that there are not multiple races. Yes, we are all one race, the human race. But it is our reality that race exists, whether it’s really important in the grand scheme of things, in an ideal world. It is the world we exist in. I think, more importantly, how do we deal with the realities and the practicalities, accepting each other’s differences and reveling/rejoicing in them, is the way to go, IMHO.

I’ve always enjoyed people who were difference than me. I enjoy learning about other cultures, comparing the variety of skin tones to my own, eating foods that are prepared in different ways than I am used to. You name it. I do wonder about the future, about the blending and mixing so that we all end up as one. It won’t happen in our lifetime. But I do think it will just naturally evolve. We are certainly on that path right now.

3. Just Another Mixed Lady says:

March 31, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Great article! Very thought provoking. I think this article is right. Being able to identify with both races takes a lot of the “confusion” out of being mixed. But it’s not always that easy.

All kids want to belong and be accepted by their peers. If all of their peers are one race or the other, they might feel that pressure to deny one of their heritages. I think the best thing for a biracial child is to grow up in a multicultural environment or to have regular interactions with other races, so they don’t feel like they have to lie about who they are to be accepted.

Plus, some black people have an “you’re either with US or you’re with THEM” kind of mentality when it comes to mixed people. They feel like even saying you’re mixed is a denial of your black heritage. If you don’t believe me, just go on Youtube and search for “Biracial vs. Black” or something like that and see hundreds of videos of (or responses to) people telling us we are black, and that identifying as “biracial” is a form of self-hate and is insulting to the black race.

As an adult, I’m way more comfy with my biracial heritage than I was growing up (I’m 30 now) and I’m optimistic about the future for biracial kids. There are more mixed kids now than ever before, so I think it should continue to get easier for mixed children to identify as they please and still be accepted by their peers.

April 1, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment! I do believe you about the difference in black vs biracial. I have combated a similar notion and consistently felt that it is just another form of racism.

Giving in to what others think of you instead of standing up for what you know is true on the inside is defeating. I want to raise my daughter to be proud of who she is, and insist that she not be labeled something that she doesn’t feel matches her real self.

It’s comforting to know that this generation is on the right path instead of giving in to the old ways. I love to hear from adult biracial people who understand this notion that we are not just what we look like on the outside.

I think that biracial people have lots to offer to everyone in understanding that we must represent ourselves to the truest extent, not just the most obvious.