1. Liz says:

January 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

OMG. That is awful. Even if it was just kids – awful. I could seriously go on and on about how awful I think it is, but you said you don’t want it to be overblown. Absolutely awful is all I will say.

2. Karen Adamo says:

January 13, 2011 at 12:08 am

When I was teaching, one day I showed up to discover a huge magic-marker swastika on my classroom door. Not a threat to me, not scary to me, but just the visual was such an intrusion when I didn’t expect it. I’d be pretty bummed if this happened at my home with my kids’ chalk.

January 13, 2011 at 12:59 am

Right. Intrusion is definitely the word. It’s just something you don’t really expect out of the blue. I was glad Annika wasn’t with me at the time.

3. Amanda says:

January 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

Wow Martha…to think someone walked right up to your house to draw that makes me feel sick inside. Even if it was a kid (or teen) they did it with some type of motivate. Look at what kids and teens are doing these days? It’s awful. Racist people pass these ignorant thoughts to their kids, I heard first hand waiting in line at the grocery store a few days ago. Sick people.

What type of area do you live in? Glad to hear you don’t feel scared for your life. I would be feeling like everyone was a suspect. Maybe you should have taken a picture and called the police.

I am from the Detroit Area, growing up I had mostly black friends. As a white person I have never experienced racism until dating outside of my race. I could handle people being racist to me, no big deal. Besides I had a huge boyfriend that would pretty much put anyone in their place. But ignorant, hateful people wait until a woman is alone to attack. It’s a disturbing world we live in honestly. Dealing with racism now as a mother of a black child is entirely different story. Geez, I could go on and on….

I never thought I’d meet another single, AP mom, of a biracial child but through the magic of the internet I virtually met you. Thank the Lord. 🙂

January 14, 2011 at 1:01 am

Thanks Amanda. It is pretty awesome that we met each other this way. I did not realize that you were single as well. We are a unique type, single, AP mamas of biracial children, lol.

To answer your question, I live in an apartment, so it was easy access. My neighborhood is somewhat poor. Some people might say it’s the “bad” part of town, but here in Austin, nothing really feels all that “bad” after living in Detroit for nine years.

I agree that most ignorant, violent people would wait until a woman is alone to attack. I just don’t worry about it. I have done lots of things in my life that others would consider foolish, thinking it was dangerous, but I have always been okay.

If it were to happen again, I would definitely report it. Now that I think about it, it likely could be considered a hate crime. Again, something I have never encountered being white.

• Amanda says:

January 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm

It’s definitely a hate crime. Good thing you don’t worry about it, you’d spend precious time worrying.

And nothing compares to Detroit I can totally understand that.

4. Liz says:

January 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Off the subject, but – did we ever address the fact that you took pic of placenta? I’m torn between saying “Eeeeewww, gross” and “I want to see!!!”. LOL Seriously, I want to see. 🙂

January 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

LOL Liz. If you really want, I can e-mail you the picture. I don’t think it’d go over well if I posted it here.

January 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I hate racisim. It’s definately one of my buttons. And I hate that I don’t think of the color of a person’s skin as a big deal until someone else makes me do so. My children are mixed race, I’m Hispanic their father is English and who cares? Until we go grocery shopping and someone starts giving us evil eye or even saying things about mixing races being disgusting in a loud enough voice for us to hear. I think racisim is disgusting.

January 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Thanks Lydia. I hate it too. It is pretty high up there on my list of what I think are society’s greatest ills.