December 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm

My childhood memories of Santa are from being in the hospital. I was deathly ill around the age of 9 and was on the pediatric ICU floor. So, Santa pretty much stopped by to see the really sick kids everyday for two week and brought me a Barbie. I thought it was so cool. He was nice and when you are a kid who is sick as a dog with tubes coming out of three different places, he was a sight to see. The people who raised me never took us to see Santa. We received gifts from him, but that is it.

We take the boys to see Santa. It is more for our entertainment. We have a picture of Boogie screaming bloody murder and Santa is saying out of his mouth, "Be quiet kid!". It is priceless. This year's picture is even better. Boogie is all smiles, and Little Bear is pissed as hell. The picture makes me laugh.

I too am neurotic. I have the weird thoughts that the mall Santa is really a pediphile and that is why he loves his job so much. I'm pretty sure I am wrong, but he just seems creepy. And I find it really weird when teenage girls are giggling and sitting on his lap. Ugh.

December 22, 2010 at 8:04 am

See, I think I'll end up being sort of like that. I kind of wish I had at least one memory of sitting on Santa's lap. I will just have to put aside my own neuroses. Even so, I can't imagine Annika actually sitting in his lap. At least, not this year.

2. Ronda says:

December 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm

We rarely saw Santa as kids growing up. But we have taken Emma to the mall to see Santa every year since she was born. She loves him and has never been shy or scared of him. This year she was able to tell him what she wanted and she keeps asking to go back to see him. The first year taking her was really for us, but since she loves it so much I think we will keep doing it. This year Nathan was oblivious but next year will be interesting, I wonder if he will be scared or just as excited as Emma.

December 22, 2010 at 8:05 am

I wonder if Annika will be know to even tell him anything. I think she's still kind of oblivious as to what exactly Santa is. But I'm sure next year she'll have figured it out. 🙂

3. Tareeshia says:

December 22, 2010 at 4:00 am

We took the boys, mostly because Elijah was old enough to really understand and make some real requests. I didn't really prep him for the "tell Santa what you want" bit so it was really cute to see him conversing with Santa as he thought about what he wanted for Christmas. The answers really surprised us and gave us the opportunity to buy some of the things he asked for in an effort to further the magic of Christmas. Like, "He really bought me the (insert toy here) that I wanted!!!!" I remember that as a kid, thinking "How did Santa know just what I wanted?" It gives me that warm, cozy, Christmas feeling. So that being said, I think we will take him again. At least until he can write his own letter to Santa.

December 22, 2010 at 8:07 am

That's something I hadn't thought of. I don't think Annika has anything in mind that she wants, but I could be totally wrong about that. She doesn't even seem to understand that the presents under the tree are something she will get to open on Christmas. This morning she tried to use one as a step stool. LOL

4. Liz says:

December 28, 2010 at 4:26 am

I've always had very mixed feelings about Santa. I found out that Santa wasn't real from a really bitchy babysitter in the middle of my parents' divorce. I was both heartbroken and mad. I felt like I'd been the butt of a really cruel joke. I could just see the adults sitting around giggling about how they'd duped the little kid again. Dramatic? Certainly, but what can I say? That was how it felt to me.

When my boys were little, I was very torn about introducing Santa. However, for my ex, Santa was a given. I'm not sure my boys ever sat on his lap. I was reluctant to take any extra measures or steps to convince them of his existence. However, each of my boys – five years apart – freaked out about the idea of a strange man coming into our home after we were sleeping. Both advised me to stop Santa from coming into the house and to just buy the presents for them myself.

Fast forward 24 years. Olivia is enthralled with Santa. He was at a playgroup Christmas party. She didn't sit on his lap but she told him what she wanted, which is unusual for her as she is pretty shy around strangers . My husband kept encouraging her to give him a hug and it totally creeped me out. I stepped in and thwarted the whole hug thing, just in case. I guess we'll have to see how big a role Santa plays in future Christmases.