1. Liz says:

October 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm

OMG – I coveted my Halloween candy when I was a kid! Although I was allowed control over it, I always made mine last til Christmas too. My boys never seemed that invested in their loot. We kept it in the pantry, but not under lock and key or anything. They would eat a lot of it for a couple of days and then go days without eating much at all. After a few days, I would start throwing handfuls of it away. My mother could never have gotten away with that. I would have noticed if one single piece was missing. We don't know how we're going to handle the candy issue with Olivia this year. Since she's still so young, I doubt we'll get enough to worry about yet. We'll probably just put it in the pantry and see what happens. Happy Halloween!

2. Annie Nestlerode says:

October 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Last year Susan went out for an hour of trick-or-treating and once we got home realized that we would run out of candy early and so recycled Susan's candy back to the neighborhood. She kept a huge Hello Kitty lollipop for herself which she happily ate for days. That was all that she needed then but this year may be different. I think we'll take out the repeat candies and leave one of each kind in her bag (1 lollipop, 1 chocolate item, 1 bag pretzel, etc.) and take away the rest.

3. Amanda says:

October 30, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I say I'll keep the candy under parent control until mine is a little older. She doesn't go for chocolate much and loves suckers. As much as I like the unfooding idea, I don't think it works here. I made cupcakes earlier and if I looked away for a second my daughter ate another, another, another….she would have ate until she puked! LOL Growing up I was allowed control over my candy but it had to stay in the kitchen, like you I made mine last until Christmas and I was the only one in my family that did.

Local businesses had Trick or Treating Friday night in my area, so we went out for that and since my daughter is 3yrs old….she didn't last long and got 7 pieces of candy. After giving me some, telling me "sharing is caring mommy" she wasn't left with much and I let her eat it all that night.

While we were walking around to the local businesses, I over heard parents talking about letting their kids gorge on the candy and then giving them Benadryl after to get them to sleep! I was shocked! I felt my blood start to boil and I wanted to turn around to smack this lady. I couldn't believe my ears, instead of parenting your children you decide to drug them!!!!! I wondered why her "friends" didn't tell her this was so wrong, maybe they are all doing it. I don't know but I've stewed on it since.

October 31, 2010 at 4:18 am

@ LIz, wow, your boys didn't want the candy like crazy? I don't think I've ever heard of that. Maybe you'll get lucky and Olivia will be the same. Annika loves candy. I do let her eat chocolate. And she'll even ask for it. But she'll eat a few pieces and then stop. I don't know how it will be when she has a huge bagful of varying kinds.

@ Annie, I really like the idea of just keeping one of each kind. That seems pretty fair.

@ Amanda, Wow! That benadryl thing is really shocking. I have heard of people doing it on flights, and I find that a bit questionable, but to overload your kid on sugar and then dose with medication seems downright dangerous. Poor kids.

I totally hear you on the unfooding thing. I think it's one of those things that is nice in theory, but simply doesn't work with everyone. I feel lucky that it is (for the most part) working for us. Annika probably wouldn't even eat an entire cupcake. She just doesn't like super bready things. If we have cookies she'll eat a few and then stop. I've even watched her ask for a second or third one and then eat two bites of it and tell me she's done. It trips me out. That said, I don't leave them out for her to just take as many as she wants. She has to ask for each one. I always give it to her, but if I felt like she was overdoing it, I might put a stop to it, I've just never needed to. There are certainly days when I question myself on it though.

5. Amanda says:

October 31, 2010 at 6:26 am

Hi Martha, it scares me to think these parents are medicating their kids after letting them get all hyped up on sugar. I think unfooding started at my house by letting my daughter self wean. Usually it's like you said, she will ask for more but not finish it. So it works for the most part. I love hearing my daughter tell her friends or cousins "no thank you, I'm fully" when they offer her more.

Hope you and your daughter have a Happy Halloween!

6. Liz says:

November 1, 2010 at 3:22 am

So far, so good. We let O hit the candy when we got home, and she stopped on her own. She did ask for it when she saw her bucket this morning but was easily dissuaded. (My mistake for leaving it on the kitchen counter.) It's me that's going to have trouble laying off. I think the phenomenon with my boys was kind of like unfooding. Since they knew they could have it most anytime, they didn't feel compelled to binge.

November 1, 2010 at 4:07 am

Awesome. I've got a post for tonight coming that will tell of our experience. But I will give you a sneak peek. She got it out this morning, took a look and then left it alone. My kid is weird!!!