August 4, 2010 at 9:03 am

"Using color to identify people, is, in my opinion, just as antiquated as defining life roles and fashion choices based on a person’s genitalia."

Hear hear!

I don't have a drop of anything other than German/Irish/Scottish/Cherokee as far as I know, and checking the "white" box has always pissed me off. I always wanted check boxed for my entire ancestral make-up, so I could check them off a la carte, if at all.

August 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

I know, even before I had Annika I hated checking those dang boxes. But now, they really piss me off.

3. Emily says:

August 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm

At least with race you are sometimes allowed to check as many boxes as apply. When asked about ethnicity, you have to pick "Hispanic origin" or "non-Hispanic" origin. For my kids, I check both boxes: yes and no.

August 5, 2010 at 6:41 pm

This was one of my worries too especially with the whole census deal! my husband and i both believe our kids should be known for who they are especially their race since its such a big issue when they see us and our kids. I wish it wasn't about race but it is. That is one of the reasons i started blogging i wanted to know what other parents of biracial kids went thru because at time it can be a challenge. my children are what i like to call blackxican – Black and Mexican 🙂 they are not more black then the other or more mexican then the other either so there shouldnt be a reason to check just one box. & I'M trying my hardest to raise them aware of their two cultures.

August 5, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Hey Ruby! Exactly. You totally get it. I wish it wasn't about race either. I wish we didn't have these dividers. But since we do, they should be accurate. Right?

August 11, 2010 at 3:50 am

I think there should just be a box you check that says "human". Ugh. I get tired of the race issues. We are all one big melting pot. Your daughter is a beautiful little girl, no matter what her race is. We have had and still sometimes get snide comments because we are an interfaith family. My husband is Jewish, so it being a race and a religion, I have had ugly comments thrown at me by Jewish women, saying my boys aren't Jewish because I'm not, etc. I told them, that regardless of if they are Jewish by religion or not, they will still be half Jewish by race. You can take or leave a religion but never a race. It is frustrating that people still act like assholes about one another's race. I am raising my boys to be open-minded. And see the inner beauty of a person, not the color of their skin.

August 11, 2010 at 4:42 am

Hey Krys, Religion is a touchy subject as well. It's weird how defensive people get when you challenge their belief systems by marrying interfaith 🙂

I agree that we are a melting pot and in the grand scheme of things, this stuff does not matter. I totally agree with you on that.

We have the race discussion often. We are already talking to Annika about her skin color. Funny, just this morning, we were driving and she said something about her baby doll and I thought she said, "My baby is black." She had actually said, "My baby is big." Anyway, so I responded, "Oh, your baby is black?" And she said, "No mommy, my baby is brown!" Very emphatically. I'm looking forward to seeing how her attitude toward race is as she grows up.