1. Ronda says:

July 8, 2010 at 9:20 am

Great post! I have come to love my hair over the years. I did all sorts of stuff to it trying to have the 'good hair'. I permed it in middle school but once was all it took for me to realize that I didn't need that! But I did still curl it, waiting for the smoking burn from the iron. I had bangs even though I hated them. Finally as a senior in high school I grew them out, not caring if everyone else had bangs and curled and combed them into a 5 inch pyramid everyday. Sure I wish my hair had a little less frizz and when it gets too long I know it, but overall I like my hair. It's another part of my body that I've accepted and I like it.

2. Tareeshia says:

July 8, 2010 at 10:01 am

I have never once colored my hair. it has been one length, no bangs, stick straight, cut maybe twice a year as long as I can remember. I don't wear fake nails, get pedicures, or believe when a fashion magazine tells me I NEED to have the newest hottest look so my husband will want to tickle me in bed. I think natural rocks and I also say fuck trying to jump through hoops to impress people. I have a feeling the way I look says a lot of things to people about my priorities, and I am glad for it. When I see women with 3 colored hair, white-tipped fingernails and whatever the latest trend is as "their" fashion statement, I run the other way. There may not be anything wrong with these women, but chances are better than not I have absolutely nothing in common with them. I think it is awesome to instill in Annika a sense of pride in how she looks, just the way she is. She WILL thank you for it when she is older. And you don't think differently than the WHOLE rest of the world…I got your back sister.

July 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

Ronda, I think it is awesome that you came to your senses in high school. You do, indeed, have very pretty hair.

Tareeshia, that's why I love you.

And btw, both of you have "good" hair! LOL

July 9, 2010 at 1:33 am

I agree with Karen, too!

I once had a stylist tell me that I didn't have "caucasian hair" and asked if I was biracial. Granted my hair used to be a *LOT* curlier (mid-puberty, pre-adult, pre-pregnancy, etc). In fact, in high school, I found out I was being referred to as the girl with "the hair". Anyhow, I remember thinking, if I were, what would it matter? Well, I did get it relaxed, and I thought it looked great, like I finally had "good hair", too. LOL. Then it curled back up with a vengeance within 1-2 months! And it was supposed to last 4 months or something. And it was dry and brittle. This with curly hair made for an even worse situation.

I have the option of doing a relaxing treatment tomorrow for free from my husband's co-worker's wife's salon or something. Not because of pressure, but because I like the I look with straight hair, I may get it done. But I just don't want it to be high-maintenece, because with a kid, who needs that!

But I agree, I also want Reese to feel confident in who she is because of the way she is, and not what society wants her to be. Hair might seem like a shallow topic to some, but I agree with you, I think it's a source of something much deeper…

4. Elizabeth says:

July 9, 2010 at 3:56 am

I would like to make a suggestion. If you get to the point where you aren't sure what to "do" with Annika's hair one day, don't just have it cut short. I have curly hair (you can't tell from my FB photo) that my mother never knew what to do with, so she kept it short. It made it a real nightmare to grow it out when I got older. I always said that if I had a daughter with curly hair I'd just let it grow out and put it in pony tails, etc. to "manage" it. That way, when she's old enough she will have something to work with. I realize this is not the point of your post, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 🙂

July 9, 2010 at 3:57 am

Yeah, I guess it sucks. Just knowing what I'm up against is helpful though. Lindsay, I think it's weird that a hair stylist thought you were Bi-racial. Lots of White women have curly hair.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using relaxers just for a change, but the film showed how women are ashamed of their natural hair and would never go natural and keep it in an unnatural state continuously.

July 9, 2010 at 4:07 am

Hey Elizabeth, that is very helpful! There's already been some talk about cutting it short. And I was feeling unsure about that. Thanks!