July 20, 2010 at 11:53 am

Our little guy Adam is 21 months old and I still rock him to sleep every night. I know non-AP parents who think I am high for doing so. I really don't give a rat's ass what they think personally. I look at it as enjoying him as a baby for as long as I can. I know when he hits3 aka Terrible Three! He will tell me he is a big boy and no longer needs me to rock him to sleep. I can just hear my heartbreak on that one. Ugh. Arthur our soon to be 4 year old suddenly stopped wanting us to soothe him to sleep. He would just lay down, listen to a story and crash. Kids seem to always wean themselves. I personally am not ready to do so.

By the way, I love your page.

July 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for the validation Krys! I think I over analyze nursing. I worry that she will never want to give it up. This kid loves loves loves to nurse.

I love your site too. I am not a vegan but one of these days I'm going to test out a few of your recipes. Once I figure out what seitan is, that is. LOL

July 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm

ITA. As for the smoking…I just started up again. I figure I have about a 4-6 month window before we start trying for #2, so I need to live it up while I can!

I'm not sure if I'm following you or not b/c the process to do so was nut-so, IMO (or should I say my technically challenged opinion = tco?). If not, I'll stalk your site. You always make me laugh, which is sometimes awkward when I'm at work. Everyone turns to look at the librarian spraying Mountain Dew all over the Reference Desk.

July 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm

LOL, Courtney, I do tend to ramble. I'm glad I make you laugh.

What I was trying to say, in a pretty nonsensical way, is that things we like, but know we won't do forever, take a lot of stops and starts before we give them up completely.

4. Mary Ann says:

July 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I have a 24-month-old son who nurses to sleep and awakes during the night at least 3 times to nurse. I started following your blog when I found out your daughter and my son were about the same age. I too wonder when I should give it up. Well now I know. It's now. He has several cavaties part due to genes, part due to the fact he was on antibiotics for the first year of his life for a kidney problem and last, part due to nursing during the night. Ugh! So we are doing all sorts of things to remedy his teeth (ozone treatment, using xylitol, etc.). Albeit, they are his baby teeth, this issue can affect his permanent teeth. So, we'll be following Dr. Gordon's plan for weaning during the night that I got from La Leche. It'll be tough for all us. I love nursing him and he loves it too. At least we'll have the days. You'll know when the right time is for you and your sweetie.

July 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

hey thanks for stopping by my little world the other day! much appreciated & I hope you stop by again….especially since I actually (FINALLY) wrote another post.

anyway, you'll figure out when it's time to wean. I took all my cues from my daughter for those sorts of baby milestones and I don't regret a single decision. I finished weaning at about 18 months and for a baby that 2 months prior viewed my nipples like freaking CRACK, she adjusted really well. A little too well, quite frankly.

spoken from another former smoker 🙂

July 21, 2010 at 4:41 am

Mary Ann, aw, poor little guy. I worried about cavities too. We are about to take Annika to the dentist for the first time, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Annika is pretty much night weaned, finally! I tried and tried for a few months, but it was so distressing that I finally gave up, then a few weeks later, she started sleeping through the night. Now if she wakes up I can offer a cuddle and she'll usually settle back down. She even asks for cuddles now instead of n.u.r.s.e. LOL

Hey Tracy, I sure will stop back by. You cracked me up! Welcome!

7. Katie says:

July 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I wanted to say thank you for the comment you left on my blog. Very nice. 🙂

My little guy will soon be 7 and I have either forgotten or chosen to delete these kind of early quandries. When it comes right down too it, I always leave it to my heart. That usually turns out the best. When one of you are ready to move on…it will happen. Then, you can move to the next stage of NEW ways of bonding.

What a great post, and thanks again for stopping by.

July 23, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Hey Katie, I sometimes wonder what it will be like when she's older and all of these things are in the past. I look forward to that, while still trying to enjoy the present as much as possible.