May 26, 2010 at 5:50 pm

So much of this is funny to me. I have a lot of the same thoughts about my clothing. I've never been trendy. I don't pay any attention to what is in style. It's too hard for me to find clothes that fit properly to worry about whether my pant legs are too wide, or too straight or too whatever. As long at they are not too short, I'm wearing them! Luckily, either my blindness to current style, or Austin's eclectic nature, makes me feel I can wear whatever I want anyway.

I have heard the jort reference once before, but didn't realize that the hipsters were actually wearing them. In fact, I was in Black Sheep the other night and noticed that a young female bartender was wearing cutoff jean shorts and i thought it was really odd. Guess I'm not out in the adult world often enough either.

As you know, my lifestyle is pretty similar to yours. If I can't sit on the ground or pick up a messy kid in it, I'm not gonna wear it. Of course, I've also decided that if some of my "nicer" clothes get trashed, so what? Where am I gonna wear them anyway. They'll just sit in the back of my closet and go out of style . . . as if I'd know . . .

May 27, 2010 at 4:27 am

Lisa, You should know that I was thinking about you as one of the moms I hang out with that dresses cute. 🙂

May 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Martha, you look adorable in your jorts! Screw those damn kids today! What the hell do they know??? My whole wardrobe from the 80's makes up about 2/3 the clothing department at Target . . . I'm not about to wear wide horizontal stripes again, but just sayin'. 😉

May 27, 2010 at 4:26 am

Thanks Connie! I don't feel too adorable most days. And that one in particular, I didn't.

And yeah, all that stuff just keeps coming back. When I saw the big wide belts, I was all, "Oh wow, has it been that long?" LOL

I keep waiting for the booties. I don't think that's gonna happen.

May 27, 2010 at 11:09 am

I solve the problem by almost never wearing shorts, denim or no. I have one PAIR of converse (!) brand nave blue shorts. They aren't denim. I don't know what they are.

I've worn them twice in the past year.

May 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I don't have that luxury Margaret. I live in Texas where it's summer more often than winter. I'll look into the converse. 🙂

4. Aileen says:

May 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Martha,

I love your blog and this article is so funny to me because I have felt the same way about fashion. I hate shopping at the mall (gasp!). I don't even like trying on clothes at Old Navy. Nothing ever fits properly, so I just go the underachiever route and throw on a 10-year-old T-shirt and slightly newer jeans. I still don't know what Keens are but I'll find out in a second after I click your link so, no, you're not the last one to hear about them! 🙂

Anyway, I think you look cute in what you're wearing in that picture, too. And for me, as long as I still have the ability to "clean up real good" every now and then, I'm ok with my sub par daily wardrobe. I don't know…maybe I should put a little more effort into it, but I hate spending money on clothes! Oh well. Sorry about my complaining. Thank you for the laughter.

May 27, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Aileen,

Ah ha! Another mall hater! We are few and far between. We must stick together. 🙂 LOL LOL

5. Tareeshia says:

May 28, 2010 at 8:53 am

FWIW Martha, I have always liked the way you dress. I too feel as though my fashion sense has gone out the window since having kids. Mostly I think I have started to change my wardrobe from "cute" to "functional." Shirts I can nurse in, shorts that are mostly cotton and knee length (I guess capris) and I recently had to decide between Keens and Tevas (I went with the Tevas, they were more comfy.) Pretty much everything comes from the thrift store so when it gets ruined after wearing it twice, it's no biggy.

I have a memory box where I keep some of my favorite trendy outfits, the pre-momhood ones. Maybe someday they will come back in style and I will want to wear them again. I doubt it, and even if I did, they probably wouldn't fit lol.

I think you are beautiful just the way you are, keep rocking those jorts!

May 28, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Tar. I like the way you dress too. 🙂

I know what you mean about functionality vs cute. That's my biggest problem I guess. Most of the time, I pick out shirts based on whether I can nurse in them. That doesn't always make for the most flattering wardrobe choices.

June 5, 2010 at 10:49 am

We're supposed to be hip and a mom too? I call those women that can actually do that "Jane". Think about it for a minute. I bet you know a Jane or two… 😉