March 21, 2010 at 3:53 am

My siblings and I lived in Papua New Guinea and Venezuela when we were young. As children, we never knew there were different skin colors. We never even thought about it. We'd never been exposed to the concept, so people were people. We truly never ever saw any differences. It wasn't until we moved back to the States that I heard someone refer to skin color, and I remember it shocked me to no end.

It has ALWAYS bothered me that the shelves are filled with white dolls. It bothers me even more as a white woman – that it's assumed that's all I'd want to buy for my children. I remember looking for dolls to buy for my grandson when he was a babe, and naively went into the stores thinking there'd be all sorts of dolls to bring home – another shocking moment when I saw rows of blond-haired white baby dolls. And it's still that way today???? Insane. So not only would you like a bi-racial doll for Annika to hold, but I'd want the same for Jack, not just white dolls in the house.

Sorry for your stress – maybe you've hit on a BRILLIANT enterprise. Creating all sorts of beautiful dolls, at affordable prices, for children all over the country. (I'm crafty – I could make all the little outfits if you'll design the dolls.)

2. Tareeshia says:

March 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I am pretty sure they have black baby dolls at the dollar store by my house. I am headed there tomorrow to get the boys their Easter stuff. If they have one, I will pick it up for you. They even have all these cute little outfits you can dress them up with. Larry wouldn't let me buy one for Elijah because he said I would make him gay. I would have to start my own blog to go in to the amount of disagreement I have with that statement lol. Anyway, you might have a lot more luck in Detroit finding a bi-racial baby doll. We should make it our mission!

3. stephanie says:

July 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

hey! i have a biracial daughter too and im looking for a bi racial doll for her as well and it is so hard! i live in georgia and we have stores filled with black baby dolls and so she has a collection of white and black but i cant find any that look like her. maybe we need to start our own company? lol please let me know if u find anything

4. Leah says:

October 21, 2010 at 12:11 am

Uggh. SO FRUSTRATED! Why do I have to spend hours searching for a baby doll that remotely looks like my daughter. I Will NEVER shop at American Girl doll after receving their catalog. Hello..the american girl is no longer blonde straight hair and blue eyes. The closes thing I found resembeling my 2 1/2 year old who has medium skin and blonde kinky curly hair is a barbie, and Im not a fan of Barbie either. Its not realistic for little girls. The next best thing…I may have to start my own line of dolls. Putting it in the works. I am teaching my daughter to love her features…love herself. How is that possible when she cant see herself in a doll. FRUSTRATING!!!!!

5. Andrea says:

November 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Please someone start a company that has dolls that look like our bi-racial children. I am trying to find one for my daughter to no avail!

November 12, 2010 at 9:18 pm

[…] Apparently, Big Lots stocks the most variety for baby dolls with different shades of brown skin. I’ve mentioned on my blog before my annoyance with all the big stores, HEB, Target, and Walmart, for not stocking baby dolls with sk…. […]

7. Mamie says:

November 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

Please let me know if any of you find a site that has biracial dolls…I hate that all I see is blonde babies with blue eyes…white people have brown eyes too…what is this world coming to? Can we get a tan baby doll with brown eyes, please? Biracial children do exist!!!

November 15, 2010 at 10:22 am

I will Mamie! I have had some luck with Black baby dolls at Big Lots. And of course, there are some shops online with Bi-racial dolls. But they are expensive.

8. Jenny says:

December 4, 2010 at 5:48 am

I am a biracial woman of 29, and growing up the closest my mom could get to a doll that looked like me & my sisters was hispanic. We had all sorts of barbies of different races, but baby dolls were usually white or black. To be honest, I never felt "bad" for not having a doll that looked exactly like me. Since my siblings and I didn't look exactly like our parents, it didn't seem so far fetched to have an asian baby, or a white baby, or a black baby. I was mommy to all of them and it didn't seem weird. Although as a parent of 2 little girls myself, I did stumble upon the site in my search for a biracial baby doll, and I think the toy companies need to catch up with our cultures ever growing number of beautifully blended babies. Until they do, just know that although it would be WONDERFUL to have more ( or any) options for bi-racial dolls, your child will not suffer for it. Or at least I didn't.